Sunday, January 12, 2014

Our First Day in Namibia

Today was our first full day in Namibia! We started our day with a tour of Windhoek and the township of Katutura. Katutura was so interesting to see because of how intense the poverty is. Seeing the township made me realize that this is reality and this is how people live their daily lives. I thought previously before coming to Namibia that I will see poverty, more so than I have ever seen before, but I was never prepared for what extent the poverty was. I have study and traveled abroad before but I had only been to developed cities and countries. Even at home in the States, what I have seen as poverty cannot quite compare to the living standards in Katutura. What most amazes me is to see this huge social-economical divide between Katutura and the rest of Windhoek in such a small geographical space. One moment you are surrounded by large, newly constructed houses and around the corner you see the township with small houses made of wood, tin, and plastic bags. How can there be this drastic divide? Seeing these living conditions extend across a large geographical space, I was not sure how I felt. I felt sad that these individuals had to live in small, structure of a home that probably does not have running water. I felt some guilt that I was living in a beautiful, large home only a few miles away. I was curious to know if something is being done to improve these living conditions. But, I have to consciously remind myself that, yes this poverty maybe more extreme that I have ever seen, but this is their reality and this is how they live. It maybe not fit my standard or idea of a suitable living condition, but these individuals living in this township may be content with it. I should not find myself thinking that this must be radiated but instead accept that this is a reality that is different from mine.  


This is Windhoek



This is Katutura




This was the market in Katutura. I ate meat straight from the grill. Sanitary? Debatable. 












No comments:

Post a Comment